Saturday, November 6, 2010

What's in a hair?

Please don't write to me about DNA and chromosomes.  That is not where this blog is going.   I have big poofy hair.  I used to hate it and then, sometime in my late teens/early 20's I started to love it.  I wanted it to be as big and curly (but not furballish) as possible.  I like to get in blown out when I have it cut just for a change and I know it looks neater that way but, I for some reason think that my big hair gives me strength and power.  I mean, I am a distant relative of Samson, aren't I?  Right now my hair is long, long, long and not looking to good.  So today I have to go cut some of it off.  I am guessing about 3 inches.  It is causing me hair anxiety.  Here are some hair thoughts:
1.  The bigger the hair, the bigger my head which means my body is smaller by comparison.  Therefore, cutting inches of hair off will automatically put on at least 5 pounds.
2.  The last time I had short hair was about 10 years ago.  I broke up with some dumbass, I mean man, I mean a mean man, and somehow that made me want to cut my hair up to my ears.  (Question 1)  Why do women do this???  The hair cut was pretty cute, I think.  It also was BRIGHT red (another hair obsession that I had to eventually give up but still miss).  Well, there I was thinking my do was pretty awesome when a male friend pulled me aside and, out of the kindness of his heart, told me that if I ever wanted to get married, I should grow my hair out because that's what men want.  (Question 2)  Why do people say stupid crap like this?  I am sure that people have hair preferences but I think that is a bit extreme and not the nicest thing to say to a single girl.
3.  A women's hair sets her apart.  I certainly feel like mine sets me apart.  I know I complain about the Jewfro sometimes but really it is a large (sometimes very large) part of me.  It is also an amazingly accurate rain and humidity predictor.
4.  By the way, in the "Who Got It Right?" section of the before mentioned People StyleWatch, Sally Hershberger gave a thumbs up to Taylor Swift's man made, curling ironed, fake curls and said Mya's was "way too frizzy (which it isn't and what's wrong with a little frizz anyway?) and lacks polish."  I of course, like Mya's way better.  Her hair looks like what I am always trying to get mine to look like. 

Conclusion:  I have none.  I just think there are a lot of judgements being made on hair and a lot of weird hair pressures.  Whatever it is growing out of your head, own it!  Do what you can do to it to love it.  Don't let Sally or anyone else try to tell you otherwise.  She is trying to sell you hair straightening cream...and/or hair curling cream, at the same time.
Hair appointment at 4....hurray!

10 comments:

  1. LOL I LOVE this post!

    My hair is way past my rear end. I believe a woman's beauty is in her hair. Love your hair. It's the hair GOD knew looked best on you!

    Women tell me that I should get it cut because I am too old to have long hair. Ha! They are jealous that they can't grow nor wear long hair. (I am 53 and have had long hair almost all my life.) Then there are those "color your hair" people. Hey, I have had a hard life and I love grey hair. Not just on me, but on everyone. I think it says something about a person when they can wear their grey and not worry what others think.

    Men? Men love my long hair. Actually women do too. I have to pull away from people quite often because somehow they think they can "handle" my hair. I don't like for people to play with my hair.

    LOL, obviously this topic struck a chord with me.

    Have a great Saturday and your wear your hair however you want. I love natural hair!

    <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great entry today Janis. Love your hair! I love mine. And I refuse to keep it long to get a man. That is such a crock. While I know lots of guys like my hair long, I am tired of the work. I actually feel better in shorter hair. Go figure. I know I flirt a lot more when my hair is shorter. Love your hair babe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love these comments! I just saw something on the news last week about how times are changing and women in their 40's and 50's and up are keeping their hair longer, not getting their hair cut because they are supposed to. The women interviewed said that they are often told they should cut it because the style is too young for them. That got me thinking that when I see a woman like this, particularly with long grey hair, my association is "free-spirited" or "artsy" and not afraid to express themselves. I think that is awesome. And it is the same thing with choosing it to be short. You rally just have to pick what makes you feel good. WWhy are we all being told our hair should be longer/shorter/straighter/bouncier? Its so crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had short hair most of my life. I went through a long hair phase, but most of the time just put it in a ponytail because I can't be bothered to do anything else with it. Also, long hair didn't suit my life, or my stature (at 5feet). Janis, I can't really picture you with short hair, because it just wouldn't be *you*. Also, I don't believe in colouring my grey hairs - my mom discovered my first grey on my 18th birthday! I earned every one of them, and they are shiny silver badges of honour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha! You get your power from short hair just like I get mine from big hair. You know in the magazines they always say that we want what everyone else has and I am thinking the magazines are wrong and we are all alot more in tune with ourselves than they think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The magazines are wrong!
    I never read them.
    I let my hair go long or short depending on my mood...not the style of the moment.
    Personally, I love my hair! Long, short, curly, straight, frizzy, in a pony tail, in a clip...whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least the (cautiously) confident ones of us can have a hairstyle independant of the newest trend (especially if it involves re-visiting the hair I had in the '80's).

    ReplyDelete
  8. my hair doesn't work with any trends. It just does what it wants. By the way, I had it blown out the other day. The ends keep curling up and either go directly into my eyes or nostrils. It's like my hair knows I was messing with it and so its getting me back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, I had a sterak in the front of my hair through the latter part of the 80's-early 90's. I was Duran Duran inspired. :-)

    ReplyDelete